When it comes to the best central coast Vietnam golf holidays, nowhere better to visit than those located in Danang and Hoian.
Danang is the fourth largest city in Vietnam with 30km beachfront, while 25km away and to the South East of Danang situated one of the World Cultural Heritage Sites (recognized by the UNESCO since 1999) – Hoian Ancient City.
Geographic Location and Airline Transportation of Danang & Hoian
Located in the center of the S-shaped country, Danang – Hoian is about 765km from Hanoi (the capital of Vietnam) and 940km from Ho Chi Minh City (also called Saigon). These cities are also two of the most important gateways in Vietnam and the Southeast Asia, connecting the South China Sea and neighbor countries like Laos and Cambodia.
Until December 2017, there have been 4 domestic airlines and 22 international airlines with flight paths (both direct and indirect) to Danang. Some domestic direct flight paths include Hanoi – Danang, Ho Chi Minh City – Danang, Nha Trang – Da Nang, Da Lat – Danang, Can Tho – Danang, etc. And some international direct flight paths include Hong Kong – Danang, Kuala Lumpur – Danang, Bangkok – Danang, Macao – Danang, Busan – Danang, Guangzhou – Danang, Beijing – Danang, Shenzhen – Danang, etc.
Best Tourist Attractions in Danang & Hoian
First, let’s take a quick look at some of the most popular tourist attractions in Danang and Hoian.
● Ba Na Hill: About 25km to the Eastern West of the city, Ba Na Hill is called “the Da Lat of Danang”. The hill station and resort of Ba Na were opened officially on March 29th, 2013, and has been known for its luxury and breathtaking sceneries. There’s even a saying “you’ve never been to Danang unless you’ve visited Ba Na Hill.”
● Danang Beaches: Isn’t sandy beach is the main reason one chooses a coastal city to visit? As said, with 30km of beachfront, Danang possesses many amazing beaches, those that will sure to make you fall in love with at the very first sight. The most ideal names for swimming and surfing, along with other outdoor activities, include My Khe, Pham Van Dong, Bac My An, etc.
● Son Tra Peninsula: Also known as Monkey Mountain, Son Tra Peninsula is actually a national park and it takes only 35 minutes of driving away from the city. This is also the place where the stunning Linh Ung Pagoda is standing on. Visiting Mt. Son Tra, tourists can go hiking or motorcycling, since there’re inclining and winding roads, which are perfect for this kind of sport, surrounding the mountain.
● Marble Mountains: The magnificent cluster of five hills was made up from limestone and marble. The Marble Mountains has numerous ethereal limestone caves, which were used to be the place of worship and hideouts of people of ancient times.
● Architectural Bridges: Many visitors come to Danang have been stunned right on the spot when they get to see some of dynamic city’s most remarkable features: the bridges. Not only helpful for transporting purposes, these fanciful bridges are the prominent destinations of many photographers worldwide. Some must-see bridges are the Dragon Bridge, Han Bridge, Tran Thi Ly Bridge, and Thuan Phuoc Bridge.
● Han Market: The most important trading point of Da Nang City, Han market is popular among local and tourist alike. Located at the grand intersection of Tran Phu Street, Bach Dang Street, Hung Vuong Street and Tran Hung Dao Street, this famous market holds a very important position in the history of the city.
● Cham pa Museum: Situated at the intersection of Trung Nu Vuong Street and Bach Dang Street in Da Nang, the heart of the ancient Cham Pa Kingdom, the museum houses the last collection of Cham Pa arts in the world. It was started in 1915 under the support of the French’s Oriental Research Institution in Vietnam.In 1936, the museum was expanded before being officially opened to the public in 1939.
● Da Nang Cathedral (officially: Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, also known as the Church of Chicken) is the cathedral of the Diocese of Da Nang in central Vietnam . This is the only church built in Da Nang, the French. Cathedral style of Gothic architecture with the soaring lines, the arch diamond. Inside the church there is the statue pictures and illustrations follow events in biblical motifs churches West . On the roof of the church, at the location lightning rod with a statue of a chicken gray made of alloy material used to determine wind direction. So that this church is also known as Chicken church.
● Japanese Bridge: This 4-century old bridge is one of Hoian’s emblems. Legend said that the bridge was supposed to be a sword used to stab the monster Namazu on the back to prevent it from lashing its tail around and causing earthquakes. This construction was recognized as the nation’s Historical-Cultural Monument in 1990. Also, its image is printed on the back of 20,000VND polymer-notes.
● Cham Island: Naturally made up from a group of 8 small islands, Cham Island is a rich place of historic and cultural interest, for it has been linked with the advent and development of the urban trading port of Hoian. The UNESCO recognized Cham Island as the World Biosphere Reserve due to its biological diversity.
● Assembly Halls: They were built by the ancient Chinese immigrant for the purpose of socializing and maintaining their culture. An interesting fact is that each assembly hall worships different deities in accordance with the belief of each Chinese group the halls were constructed in. The most prominent five Assembly Halls in Hoian are the Fujian (Phuc Kien), Ghaozhou (or Chaozhou – Trieu Chau), Hainan (Hai Nam), Cantonese (Quang Dong), and Trung Hoa (Ngu Bang).
● Kim Bong Carpentry Village: This is one of Hoian Ancient City’s trademarks, which has attracted numerous tourists worldwide. You’ll understand why when you immerse yourself in the working sounds of cutting, chiseling, and drilling, which are resounded from anywhere in this 6-century old village. The unique style employed here is said to be the skillful combination of Cham kingdom, China, Japanese, etc.
● Tra Que Vegetable Village: If you are looking for some quiet time in Vietnam then this is the best place for you. If you can reach the village early in the morning then you are in for a treat. From the quiet peaceful walk to the bustling to village life once the morning sets in, you can enjoy it all. A big attraction to Tra Que Vegetable Village is the cooking classes that are held here. Their corn pancakes bring locals and tourists alike from all over Vietnam.You can do a hands-on cooking class or just enjoy the tasty delicacies.
● Central Market: Central Market is the go to place in Hoi an if you are looking to get a taste of the different items available in the Vietnamese markets. This particular place is very well known among the locals as the place where you will get anything. Since it covers a large area, you will get access to shops selling different kinds of fruits, vegetable and even live produce. This is one of the best places for fresh stock. One of the best things about this particular place is that you are bound to see things that are authentic to Vietnam, things that you have likely never seen before. So it is a very good option to just walk around these lanes in order to get a glimpse of the market culture in the city. But if you are in the mood to buy anything be sure to haggle with the prices!
● The Old House of Phun Hung: Get to know the older and quainter version of Vietnam and Hoi An by visiting the old house of Phung Hung, which is nothing lesser than a historic book, yellowed with so many memories and facts of the town’s cultural significance. A tour in the house will take you through the town’s ancient business, trade and local flavours and values. It is one of the architectural buildings of Hoi An and is recently been noted as World Heritage Site.
● Hoian Traditional Art Performance Theatre: Walking around the Old town of Hoi An, tourists are sure to be fascinated by endless reminiscences of a past time when the old town was a major commercial port, a center of cultural interminglement amongst Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese. For those who want to picture these streams of history the most, the Hoi An Traditional Art Performance Theatre is definitely a place to go. The theatre, which offers live performances of Vietnamese folk music and folk dance, is located on Nguyen Thai Hoc Street. The show here is free if you have paid the entrance fee into the town (this ticket allows a tourist to see 5 attractions, sites or shows inside the town) and takes place from 9:00PM to 10:00Pm everyday.
● Old House of Tan Ky: Located at 101 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, in the Old Quarter of Hoi An Ancient Town, Tan Ky Old house is an almost perfect example of a 18th merchant’s residence in this major commercial port town. The name Tan Ky, meaning “Progress Shop”, was given to the house by the second generation to express the owner’s wish for a prosperous business.
● My Son Sanctuary: If Hoi An enchants you by colorful lanterns along downtown streets by night, charming red towers in My Son surely amazes you in the sunset. Nestling in a narrow valley surrounded by mountains, this temple, tower complex is a masterpiece of ancient Cham architecture. My Son consists of 70 architectural works ranging from small to great size. It used to be holly land of Cham people from the 4th to 13th century. In the 4th century, in the King Bhadravarman’s time, after the construction of Tra Kieu, the religious center of Cham kingdom was set in My Son to welcome royal members, aristocrats and host important religious rituals. Continually developing through nearly nine centuries, My Son witnessed the glorious, prosperous as well as declining time of Champa kingdom.
● The Tran Family Chape: No one has the courage to state which exact place in Hoi An is most ancient and beautiful, but many people know the Tran Family Chapel is one of the oldest and most historical houses in this city.
Best Golf Courses in Danang & Hoian
Now, this is what we are here for today: best places to plan your central coast Vietnam golf holidays.
This is an incredible 7090-yard, par-72 golf, links-style course for you to consider. The course was set up by the famous Monty – internationally known as the 8-time European Tour Order of Merit winner Colin Montgomerie. He believed that the Montgomerie Links would “certainly become the leading golf and tourism destination in the region” with its high-quality construction and luxurious accommodations.
Monty has weaved the unique design, a harmonious mix between the nature and the classic old world, into the Montgomerie Links. Some of the note-worthy features are wind-blown dunes, tight chipping areas, rough, vast greens, sandy soil, and rolling, and treeless fairways.
The distant highlands and the impressive Marble Mountains can be seen from the cutting-edge clubhouse by the 18th hole. There’s always a 30-bay covered driving range available to take visitors to those beautiful landscapes.
Located near two of the most historic destinations in Vietnam (i.e. the ancient city of Hue and Hoian), this golf resort is only 15-minute away to the South of Danang. BRG Danang Golf Club had its name in the list of Top 15 international golf courses in 2010, voted by the GOLF Magazine USA.
The Australian golf legend, Greg Norman, is the designer of this vast 7,160-yard, par-72 course, 18-hole, links-style golf course. According to him, the site is “a must for every golfer”, and no doubt why it’s the most favorite destination on Norman’s central coast Vietnam golf holidays.
Additionally, you can see the spectacular view of the Marble Mountains, the Cham Islands, and the East Sea offered by par-3 16th in the club.
As the name suggests, this 18-hole, par-71 golf club was established at the heart of Laguna Lang Co. Based on the design of the six-time major winner – Sir Nick Faldo, the golf resort is the core of the Laguna Lang Co resort compound.
“The site has what we’re always looking for,” said Nick. And it is true, for its attraction lies in diverse, wonderful backgrounds encountered throughout a round, such as woodlands, rice paddy, beach and ‘blowout’ areas. Not to mention the tranquil rivers, clear creeks, and rock boulders on nearby hillsides.
What’s more, the golf course offers a pleasant experience for every golfer of all levels, from beginners to most experienced players. In which the former’s front tees spread 5,263 yards and the championship tees for the latter spread almost 7,100 yards.
It only takes 25 minutes to drive from Danang’s international airport to the impressive mountain course of Ba Na Hills Golf Club. This club is artfully set in the foothills and verdant native forests of the renowned Ba Na Hills.
The course has received many positive feedbacks from golfers worldwide. And it’s just as well when being destined to be one of Asia’s finest golf courses to come across. No one can expect anything less if it is the first course ever modeled by Luke Donald – the world’s former No.1 golfer.
Specific features that often strongly impress visitors include:
● Spectacular background and beautiful setting embraced in a scenic environment.
● Interesting course design: well-maintained fairways, bunkers, and green. Many challenging holes.
● High-quality facilities and amenities for golfers with the well-equipped clubhouse.
● Friendly, courteous staffs and caddies around the property.
One more golf course is worth your consideration. Vinpearl Nam Hoian Golf is simply one of the most striking golf courses that can please even the most demanding golfers.
About 44km away from Danang’s center, or 17km north of Hoian Ancient City, the Vinpearl Nam Hoian Resort & Vinpearl Nam Hoian Golf is situated in the heritage road of Vietnam’s central coast. Officially opened since October 2017, the golf course has been a mesmerizing feature in an all-inclusive resort complex.
Vinpearl Nam Hoian Golf was constructed based on the international standards. The players can never be bored when there’re par-5 and par-3 (two for each), and five par-4 after every 9 common holes. Other than that, good services and amenities, as well as stunning views of the sea by certain holes, will relax you immensely.
Weather in Danang & Hoian
To set up a perfect golf holiday, you mustn’t leave out the fact about weather conditions in where you’re going to arrive. Some of the main points about the weather in Danang and Hoian are as follows:
There are two noticeable seasons in the Central Coast Vietnam: the dry season (February – August) and the rainy season (September – January). Temperature is highest from May to September, while rainfall level is highest in winter months from September to January. Nonetheless, because both Danang and Hoian are located close to the windy sea, the climate here is generally cool and fresh all year round.
Best Time of Year to Play Golf in Danang / Hoian
People enjoy outdoor activities like golfing during dry and sunny days, but not too hot like during mid-summer. So, the gap between February and May, where it is warm at day and pleasantly cool in the evening, will be ideal for anyone who wishes to play this particular sport.
Best Sites to Stay and Enjoy in Danang & Hoian
Resorts and Hotels
As these are one of Vietnam’s tourism centers, countless types of accommodations are erected to welcome faraway visitors. The price is different from places to places, so find one that best fits your reach!
● Danang: InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula, Grandvrio City Danang, Fusion Suites Danang Beach, Ocean Villas, Hyatt Regency Danang, Fusion Maia Resort Pullman, Danang Beach, etc.
● Hoian: Pomelo Garden Homestay Villa, Hoian Estuary Villa, Green Heaven Hoian Resort and Spa, Sunrise Premium Resort Hoian, etc.
There’s no point in traveling without giving the local food specialties at least a try. So, here are some well-setting restaurants with reasonable prices for you to consider. But note that there aren’t just special dishes of Danang and Hoian in these places, for there’re worldwide cuisines can be found here, too.
● Danang: Panorama, Madame Hanh, Mi Quang Ba Mua, Whale, Lam Vien, Madame Lan, etc.
● Hoian: Enjoy, Chez Marcel, Faifoo café, Riverside, etc.
Now let’s move to the more interesting topic: best local food in Danang and Hoian. Basically, what specialties Danang has, so does Hoian. And they all come at cheap prices. Below are some of them:
● Noodles (My Quang): This is probably the most popular dish in Danang. The noodle is made from rice flour. It is then added with broth and different ingredients, such as pork, egg, chicken, shrimp, or fish.
● Sliced Pork Rolled with Rice Paper (Banh Trang Cuon Thit Heo): The locals and tourists love this dish because of its fresh ingredients: vegetables, cucumber, green banana, and green mango. Together with some slides of belly pork, everything is wrapped in soft rice paper and eaten with dipping sauce, creating a great taste.
● Cao Lau Noodles: It is the most unique dish in Hoian, and you can find it in many Danang restaurants, too. The dish is a combination of noodles, barbecued pork, local veg, and some kinds of vegetables in a pork-based gravy made from an ancient Cham well.
● Seafood: Both Danang and Hoian are coastal cities. So, it would be a mistake if there is no seafood in this list. Simply come to a seafood restaurant, and you will have the chance to enjoy fresh crabs, mussels, squids, lobsters, and so on.
● Vietnamese Pancake (Banh Xeo): It’s pretty easy to find this dish in Danang and Hoian. The pancake is made from rice flour and turmeric powder, creating a distinct color. Before serving, it will be fried and then stuffed with slivers of pork, shrimp, bean sprouts, diced green onion, and several greens. The dish is eaten with dipping sauce.
Vietnam is well known for strong coffee that might be so bitter for some people. However, a dark roast coffee brewed with some drops of condensed milk and a bit of sugar can really help to refresh our mind. Here are some best coffee shops in Danang and Hoian:
● Danang: Golem Coffee, BonPas Bakery & Coffee, 85 Design Café, DANANG 1975, Memory Hostel Café, Boulevard Gelato and Coffee, Cong Caphe, etc.
● Hoian: Dingo Deli, Mia Coffee, May Concept, Bep Truong, Reaching Out, Rosie’s Café, Cocobox, Cargo Club, etc.
Before continuing your journey, let’s take a break and relax in one of these spa centers:
● Danang: Herbal Spa Danang, Honey Spa, Queen Spa, etc.
● Hoian: Green Heaven Spa, Na Spa Escape, Ginger Spa Hoian, etc.
It’d be a regrettable shame if you’ve come this far, visiting all the tourist attractions in these cities but haven’t set foot in at least one of these parks:
● Danang: Ba Na Hills, Asia Park, Sun World Danang Wonder, etc.
● Hoian: Vinpearl Land Nam Hoian, Hoian Impression Theme Park, etc.
Still feel fortuitous after a fine golfing day? Care to push your luck a little more in these casino hotels and clubs?
● Danang: Crowne Plaza Danang, Crown International Club, Club 99 (Furama Resort Danang), etc.
● Hoian: Royal Riverside Hoian Hotel, Hoiana (Nam Hoian Resort – coming soon), etc.
So, why Danang and Hoian are the perfect choices for your central coast Vietnam golf holidays? Well, vast golf courses, breathtaking tourist attractions, delicious dishes, luxurious resorts, awesome amusement parks, and friendly locals are the answer.
Have you decided which place is the perfect destination for your central coast Vietnam golf holidays?